Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My "After Party"

I recently attended a Celebration of Life for a friend of mine who passed away. Leaving there, my mindset on funerals totally changed (at least how I want mine to be anyway). I know...this is totally morbid to think about. But it's important to let those you love know your wishes. And after reading a fellow blogger's post on the same topic, I was inspired to post my thoughts.

Mrs. Vicky Lacy's funeral was a CELEBRATION. For one, it was at her home church. Where else should such a celebration of a homecoming be held than in the very place she worshiped God each Sunday? In lieu of flowers, the family requested that guests bring bouquets of balloons. It was a beautiful sight as I walked in, to what is usually a very somber situation, to balloons everywhere. Of course there will be tears, but I'd like them to be broken up with great singing and worship. Now...as if this post isn't morbid enough...I've also had a change of heart about cremation. It's always seemed so strange and scary to me. But letting a body decay and take up space is also not-so-appealing. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, right? Plus there's no awkwardness of having a body present at the funeral and last memories with that mental picture.

Anyway, do what you want...I'll be gone & basking in God's presence by time this happens. Just thought I'd share :)

No comments: