Saturday, October 4, 2008

Walk To Remember

This past weekend, I attended my 3rd Walk to Remember. It is an annual event put on by all the Indianapolis area hospitals to remember babies who have passed. A family friend, Rosanne, invited me the year I miscarried our first baby. The next year, I attended to remember our son Riley as well. This year Ty & I went again to remember them both.
The Walk to Remember is difficult to describe. This year there seemed to be a lot more people at the walk, which at first seems great...then you remember why they are there. It is sad, and there are many tears...but like my friend Melissa Smurdon said to me, we look for ways to remember them and this is a great way to do that.
The walk starts at St. Francis Hospital in Beech Grove (where I was born). Family members receive balloons and write their baby's name, birth date, or a message on it. Then we walk from the hospital to a nearby park where we are greeted by music and beautiful mums. After some snacks and visiting, we all take a seat on the lawn as beautiful poems are read, followed by a reading of each baby's name. Finally, we all release our balloons together sending a gift to our babies in Heaven.







At the end of the event, each family is able to choose a mum to take home. I look forward to getting one each year and displaying it on my front porch along with some pumpkins.


This is my friend Sherry and her family releasing their balloons for their son Carter.






3 comments:

Jodi said...

Oh wow, I was unaware that that event took place! How wonderful!!!

Jodi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sondra said...

What a great event. I got choked up seeing your picture of all those balloons in the sky.