Saturday, March 21, 2009

New Walker & New Runner

We have a New Walker & New Runner in the family!
This week, Ty has really started to take off. Although he still likes to hold our hand for long distances, he is getting braver & braver and loves to practice his new skill.
This morning I completed my 1st 5K Race. My wonderful friend Traci Prescott set me up with a "Couch to 5K" running program a couple months ago. My goal was to be running a 5K by Ty's birthday. I accomplished my goal on the treadmill 2 days before his birthday, and Traci encouraged me to run in an actual race. I was so excited and nervous. I would have never said that I would be a runner. I hated running. But something sparked in me, so here I am.
Dennis & Ty came to support me.
Before the race (Ty was still sleepy).
We made it!
This is me & my friend Traci after the race.
We completed the 5K in 34:15 min.
My fastest time before today was 37:30 min. While we ran, Dennis & Ty hung out inside the school gym. He asked when to come outside and I told him to at least give me 35 min or so, since that was the best I had ever done. Well...they missed my big finish. I wasn't upset at all. Are you kidding? They missed it b/c I ran faster than I ever had.
It was so exciting and I felt like I had really accomplished something.
I'm thankful to Traci for pushing me AND running with me. I couldn't have done it without her.


3 comments:

kellie: thelemondime said...

WOW AMY!!! I am soooo proud of you! What a fantastic accomplishment! Joel just ran his first ever mile this weekend and I can only imagine how much more excited you must get to be able to run 5!!! Good for you...mini maybe? you rock girl and are inspiring!

Sarah Pead said...

Amazing! I'm so proud of you! :)

Denise said...

Great Job! I agree with Kellie that your run is an awesome accomplishment!